Ideal candidates for the online master’s in music education program will meet the following minimum requirements:
- BA/BS/BM in Music Education
- Candidates with a BA/BM in Music will also be considered. Individuals in this category must have experience and interest in teaching, which can be demonstrated through the supplemental Academic Portfolio.
- 3.0 cumulative GPA in undergraduate study (and 3.0 GPA in undergraduate music theory, earning training, and music history courses)
- Professional music teaching experience
NOTE: No GRE score is required for admission.
Applicants must submit the following:
Graduate Admissions & Academic Programs
Attn: Phillip Klepacki
PO Box 115800
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611-5800
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement of purpose
- Updated resume
- Academic portfolio (See below for more information.)
- $35 application fee
International students must also submit additional materials to gain admission to the program.
The academic portfolio includes two components: (a) a minimum 4-5 page scholarly writing sample and (b) other materials that provide evidence of the applicant’s knowledge and skill as a music educator.
Writing samples may include:
- A music-related, undergraduate assignment
- A statement of your personal philosophy regarding music education
- A reflective narrative on some aspect of music education
- A published article on a music-related topic
Supplementary materials may include any two of the following:
- Audio or video recordings of rehearsals or classes
- Audio or video recordings of ensemble performances prepared and conducted by the applicant
- Lesson or unit plans
- Sample assessments used with students
- Original compositions or arrangements created for students
- Student work samples
- Other items that the applicant feels adequately display their knowledge and skill
To learn more about the University of Florida’s online Master of Music in Music Education and download a free brochure, fill out the fields below. You can also call (866) 794-8806 to speak to an Enrollment Advisor.
The University of Florida respects your right to privacy. By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails and calls from a representative of the University of Florida, which may include the use of automated technology. Consent is needed to contact you, but is not a requirement to register or enroll.